Living in a warm climate like Florida has many perks, but one negative thing about it is how easy it can be for your home to contract roaches. Most of us have a fairly simple perspective about roaches. We see them as pests that invade our homes, they can be difficult to kill, and that’s about it. At Sterling Pest Control, we’ve seen just how tenacious these creatures can be, and there are many interesting things about them that you probably don’t know. We think these facts will help you understand the importance of pest control services so that if you spot one in your home, you’ll contact a roach exterminator Orlando at Sterling Pest Control.
Unique Facts About the Cockroach
We all hear that roaches are tenacious, but do you know just how tenacious they can be? Here are some interesting facts that may make you realize how serious an infestation can be:
- Roaches can live without their head for a week
- This is a more commonly known fact, but it’s interesting nonetheless. Their circulatory system allows them to breathe through holes in their body segments, and could theoretically survive indefinitely without their heads, but will eventually succumb to dehydration.
- They can hold their breath for 40 minutes
- Roaches often hold their breath to regulate their loss of water. This makes it difficult for them to drown in a short period of time.
- A roach can run up to 3 miles per hour
- If you’ve ever seen a roach in person, you’ve probably noticed how quickly their little legs can carry them. Even more interesting is that babies are capable of these same speeds, and they can be as tiny as a speck of dust. All-in-all, they can be difficult to catch.
- Beer and other alcoholic beverages can attract them
- Specifically the American cockroach (second most common to the German cockroach) is attracted to beer. The combination of hops and sugar is something they’re particularly fond of. Parties where alcohol is being served can be an excellent way to attract a new family of roaches, where beer can be left out for hours, and things sometimes aren’t cleaned until the next day.
- They are cold-blooded
- The cold-blooded aspect isn’t so surprising, but what is surprising is the consequences of this. Roaches can live for a month without food as a result, but will die from lack of water after a week.
- They can host a multitude of diseases
- Roaches are known to potentially carry many diseases on their bodies. What makes this particularly scary is how deeply they can traverse your home, leaving you and your family exposed to potentially nasty illnesses without even knowing.
Pest Control Services: Find a Roach Exterminator Orlando
Cockroaches can be fascinating creatures with unique capabilities for survival. While this is great for them out in the wilderness, it’s not so great when they’re invading our homes. Roaches can leave us at great risk for hazardous diseases, and this is not something that should be left unattended. If you’ve noticed roaches in your home, it’s important to contact pest control services as soon as possible. To hire a roach exterminator Orlando, contact us at Sterling Pest Control. We will help you take back control of your home so you can live without worry of contracting something a roach invader brought with them.